Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Still Waiting....

Well luckily nothing was frosty this morning when I went outside. I uncovered my dahlias and some other tender babies, set out a few potted plants I had carried carefully inside, and gave everything a drink. Still, it didn't get very warm today. I think we maxed out at 50-odd degrees and by now it's already below 40. Phil promises me it's supposed to warm up tomorrow, so maybe then I'll be able to put a few more bedding plants in the ground.

I'd like to put some catmint around my new climbing rose, a Don Juan that was a Mother's Day present. Then I'll tuck some chocolate mint into the pots with my little dahlias and geraniums. I love the way it smells (just like chocolate and mint) and the kids enjoy tasting little bits of it and feeding it to their friends.

Other newcomers I'm trying this summer are angel's trumpets, four o'clocks and morning glories along the north fence. My plan is for the morning glories to open up and smell sweet in the morning, followed by the four o'clocks, with the angel's trumpets covering the evening shift. Pictures and descriptions of my success -- or lack thereof -- will follow in a month or so.

Now, one more night of tucking my flowers in and we'll see if tomorrow brings a little more sunshine.

Later,
b

No comments: